Eagle platform being depicted through two individuals are are working on their laptops seamlessly while Eagle provides security in the background.
When we embarked on our Kubernetes journey at Softrams we wanted to lower the barrier for entry for our programs and developers. We looked for a way to provide uniform deployments of clusters that would meet a few requirements:
- Cloud agnostic – Could be deployed to multiple different clouds or hybrid clouds
- Minimal configuration – Did not require a lot of configuration to deploy, but baked in best practices
- Full featured – All the underling capabilities to support applications would be included
- Modular – Needed to be able to customize components and features for different requirements and/or cloud capabilities
- Developer empowerment – Empowering the developers to be able to self-provision with turnkey functionality was a key factor
Out of this was born our Eagle platform. We created a modular design for deploying core capabilities on clusters utilizing GitOps and Argo CD. This includes a number of cloud native projects for enhancing the cluster’s ability to manage routine activities like:
- DNS creation/updates
- Certificate generation/renewal
- Monitoring and notifications
- Self-service provisioning
Our programs are able to leverage Eagle to launch a Kubernetes cluster to their specifications by passing flags to enable or disable features. Further customization is also possible to overwrite default values and configure the components to desired specifications and requirements.
With all the pieces tied together a cluster can be provisioned and ready for developers to launch push button applications, with full CI/CD and continuous compliance, in a matter of minutes. The applications are deployed automatically through GitOps and fully configured by the platform to be securely accessible at desired internal and/or external DNS addresses.
By removing bottlenecks and automating provisioning developers are not dependent on other groups to enable CI/CD, compliance checks, repo creation, monitoring, or anything else. This greatly reduces the complexity and time required for developers to get new applications up and running.
Eagle is at the core of our Kubernetes architecture and the key to empowering our developers. If you want to learn more check out eagle.dev.